How about building a cross-chain bridge aggregator?

In the same vein as @Jindouyun post on building multi-assets transaction routing, here is an idea that could make sense for 1inch to develop.

Many crypto users are now operating across chains, regularly bridging assets from one blockchain/roll-up to another. There are now plenty of bridges available to help you do that, but finding the best road for a given token at a given time is a cumbersome exercise:

• Sometime there is no liquidity on one side or another of the bridge
  • Sometime there is no direct bridge from one chain to another and you have to make an intermediate stop to reach your destination
  • Fees/slippage might vary widely from one bridge to another

In the same way that 1inch aggregate liquidity from multiple DEXs and is able to fine the optimal route for any given trade, the idea would be to aggregate multiple bridges and find the optimal route to travel an asset cross chain.

As a longer-term vision, you could imagine combining the DEXs aggregation protocol with the bridges aggregation protocol and allow user to fin the optimal route starting from asset A on chain X and finishing with asset B on chain Y.

Not sure how complex that would be to implement (I assume a lot given you have to deal with multiple chains at once), but I thought I would drop the idea here in case!

4 Likes

Do you really think that 1inch team haven’t thought of this in 1st place ?
There are risks involved when dealing with bridges which is why they haven’t tamed it yet

I am not assuming anything about what the 1inch have or haven’t thought of (they probably have, but I don’t see why this would be relevant). Of course there are risks involved in dealing with bridges, the same way that there are risks involved with dealing with DEXs.

This idea is not mentioned anywhere else on the forum, so I wanted to put it out there, see if other people think that would be of value.

@Roxan are you part of the 1inch team?

1 Like

It was asked in last community ama afaik

I like this idea a lot – I’ve thought about something similar in the past, but I kept getting hung up on a couple issues:

1. A lot of L2s have long withdrawal times, ranging from several hours (some zk-rollups) to several days (optimistic rollups).

• So, we can’t use most canonical L1<–>L2 bridges as the funds would take too long to move on and off the L2.
    • Additionally, this type of bridging would be very expensive as it doesn’t avoid L1 transaction fees.
  2. There is currently no standard for cross-chain bridging (L2<–>L2).

With the lack of a standardized cross-chain bridge standard, and the canonical L1<–>L2 bridges being too slow for aggregation purposes, cross-chain aggregation would require us to either use existing non-canonical bridge projects (like Hop protocol) or make our own non-canonical bridge.

Both solutions open up 1inch to a whole new set of challenges – bridges are ultimately just smart contracts, and there is always smart contract risk.

I love the idea, but we need to really weigh the pros and cons before we attempt to implement this. With the Rollup-Centric Ethereum roadmap (A rollup-centric ethereum roadmap - ethereum-roadmap - Fellowship of Ethereum Magicians) becoming a reality, I think cross-L2 aggregation would see a lot of usage. We just need to figure out if it is even possible at this point, or if we need to wait on the whole ecosystem to agree on standards first.

Disclaimer: I’m not a dev, so if I said anything that is incorrect please feel free to check me.

4 Likes

Here’s a Dev opinion about Cross Chain By Vitalik

1 Like

Hi, I recently posted some opinion on this topic: https://twitter.com/k06a/status/1452755517085003776

3 Likes

Thanks, appreciate you sharing. I actually found a new protocol doing just that. It’s called Rango (https://app.rango.exchange) in case you haven’t heard of it. I have been using them since yesterday and so far I am really happy, I have cross check quite a few times and they allways had the best route.