CHI Spend during a CHI-enabled transaction

I have CHI enabled in the swap settings. When I go to swap two assets, I am quoted the CHI-enabled prices “Transaction cost with CHI in USD/ETH” and then above am also quoted the price without CHI-enabled “Transaction cost in USD/ETH”. As easily seen below.

When executing this trade without CHI enabled, metamask quoted the price as roughly $40 USD
When executing this trade with CHI enabled, metamask quoted the price as roughly $65 USD

So some questions ensue.

1. I thought CHI was supposed to save on GAS fees… So why is the CHI-enabled swap more expensive up-front in gas fees?

2. When I finally did execute the CHI-enabled swap, and accepted the $65 gas fee in metamask, NO CHI WAS SPENT. Am I misunderstanding how this operates? I have a balance of several dozen CHI and as you can see above I have CHI-enabled in the settings. Why was no CHI burned during this transaction (my CHI balance remained the same) Am I using this wrong?

My understanding was to benefit from CHI you need to authorize CHI, then possess some CHI tokens and then they would be spent in lieu of gas to ulitmately save on gas fees no?

You can see here that I authorized 1inch V3 to spend CHI and have carried a balance of CHI, so can you explain why

1. It seems like the chi-enabled swaps are more expensive gas-wise - this could just be me not understanding the end result of how the numbers work (Ethereum fees and contracts can be very confusing when trying to figure out the final cost)

2. Why has my CHI balance not been reduced - I would have assumed that I would need to spend CHI to save on gas fees

1 Like
  1. Yes, CHI does save gas in specific scenarios. This requires the user to obtain CHI at 1/2 the gas price of the time of burning. As a gas savings measure, when 1inch v3 was released, unoswap - our custom router that’s more efficient than uniswap’s - didn’t implement CHI. If your swap doesn’t go through unoswap, then even though CHI will increase the gas limit, the gas refunds will very much offset the max gas limit. Sadly this refund system will be removed in a future hard fork.
  2. This is because your swap went through unoswap, even though the gas limit was increased, it shouldn’t have used any extra gas.
  3. In theory they would be, because enabling CHI would disable the unoswap function (this is the case in the consumer API.) Since unoswap is more efficient though, it’s left enabled since it’s more cost effective in the end since you don’t need to purchase and burn CHI.
  4. You would, but only when your swap doesn’t go through unoswap. You’ll know your swap goes through unoswap in the following scenario: Your token swap has 0-1 wrapper cards (think wETH) and 1 uniswap, or uniswap clone AMM card in the routing shown on the interface.
2 Likes